When it comes to electrical engineering, then among students, it’s the favorite, and they feel like always ready to design the new device for the users. It is the engineering discipline concerned with the study, design, and application of equipment, accessories, and system, which is all depends on electricity.
Electrical engineering tools are like a magical stick that works magically to have the device working at its best. There are various such electrical engineering tools, but here we are going to have a look at the signal generator.
What is a signal generator?
It is the electronic tool that generates repeating and non-repeating electronic signals in analog as well as the digital domains. It is the electrical testing device that is considered as an essential tool in electrical engineering. It is used as the stimulus for the item being tested.
Types of signal generator:
Talking about the signal generator, then they come in different forms. Generating different kinds of signals, they are being differentiated. Where some provide the RF signals. On the other hand, another one offers audio signals, different shaped waveforms, and some just pulses. There are thousands of various applications of this incredible electrical tool.
- Audio Signal Generator: This type of signal generator is used to produce audio applications. Used for the sound measurement and runs over the audio range, typically from 20 Hz to 20 kHz. They must have a flat response and also a shallow level of harmonic distortion as a result.
- Arbitrary waveform generator: Waveforms specified by the user this is what this type of signal generators work for. They create very sophisticated waveforms which are defined by the users. This type is thought of as the advanced function generator. Here the waveforms can be almost every shape and can be entered in a variety of waves.
- Pulse generator: Here, this type is used to generate pulses. They can be in the form of a logic pulse generator where they produce a pulse with variable delays. They also offer variable rise and fall times.
- Function generator: This type is used to generate simple repetitive waveforms. It produces the waveforms or functions such as sine waves, sawtooth waveforms, square and triangular waveforms. Talking about the modern function generators, then they may use digital signal processing techniques to generate the waveforms digitally. After that, they convert them from the digital into an analog format.
- RF signal generator: This type of signal generator produces radio frequency signals or RF signals. A variety of methods are used to generate signals like analog signal type use free-running oscillators, whereas, on the other hand, some use frequency locked loop techniques to improve stability.
- Vector signal generator: this is the signal generator, which is a type of RF signal generator that generates RF signals with complex modulation formats such as QPSK, QAM, etc. So for the modern data communication systems, everything from the Wi-Fi to 4G, 5G mobile telecommunication system, this vector signal generator is being used for testing.
Used for different applications, these signal generators are the essential electrical tool in electrical engineering. When looking for what signal generator is, then it is vital to know the types as well needed for the desired job.